Mostly Sonny

Tales/images of architecture, design, inspiration, travel, and other such stuff...

feuille-d-automne:

The first Siemens vacuum cleaner came onto the market in 1906 with the name “Dust suction pump” and weighed three hundredweight.

archimaps:

Renderings of Georgian Fan Lights, Baltimore

installator:

"Tatlin Tower reconstruction in construction  (Building the Revolution: Soviet Art and Architecture 1915-1935 at the Royal Academy two years ago)." (GRAD)

todaysdocument:

Operation “Little Vittles”

On the 65th anniversary of the end of the Berlin Airlift on September 30, 1949, here’s a look back at the Airlift’s younger sibling, “Operation Little Vittles.”

Excerpted from: BERLIN AIRLIFT (EDITED FOOTAGE) - “THE BRIDGE” ; BERLIN AIRLIFT (EDITED FOOTAGE) “LITTLE VITTLES”, 04/19/1949

In July 1948 Berlin Airlift pilot Gail Halvorsen began handing out and later dropping candy via handkerchief parachutes to the children who had gathered to watch at Berlin’s Tempelhof Airport.  With the approval of superiors and the support of confectionery companies, “Operation Little Vittles” was born and “Candy Bombers” and “Raisin Bombers” began dropping care packages to the children of Berlin.

(via npr)

aliciahubermans:

" Oh, you remember the awful things they said about what’s-her-name before she jumped out the window? There. You see? I can’t even remember her name so who cares?"

The Women (1939)

(via thefilmcanister)

cincylibrary:

Cincinnati architecture examples from “Revived Italian Architecture: From Classical Inspiration to Modernity,” currently on display in the Joseph S. Stern Cincinnati Room at Main Library:

Above: Wooden Nickel Antiques Building, Central Parkway, Cincinnati

This massive building, which currently houses The Wooden Nickel Antiques store, is a good example of the mid-19th century commercial Italianate style. It was strategically located on the Miami and Erie Canal. The flat, immense façade features an infinite series of pointed pedimented windows.

Left: Cincinnati Gymnasium and Athletic Club, Shillito Place, Cincinnati

Built in 1902, the club was seen as one of the best gymnasia in the United States. Typical of the Second Renaissance Revival style, the building was designed by the architectural firm of Werner and Adkins. The five arched stone windows give a spectacular look to the façade (Lorrie Owen, Dictionary of Ohio Historic Places, 1999, vol. 2, pg. 575).

Right: McAlpin’s Building, West Fourth Street, Cincinnati

Originally designed in 1859 by architect James McLaughlin, the structure was the first location of John Shillito Department Store Co., until he relocated to Seventh Street in 1878. The façade, a very fine example of the commercial adaptation of the Italianate design, features simple and very crisp detailing, such as the alternating shaped pedimented windows on all levels, a bracketed cornice, and quoins at the corners.

Fixed. theme by Andrew McCarthy